Wednesday, October 2, 2013

So I didn't know I wasn't using Kubuntu's repositories for 1.5 years

That moment you realise for your entire 12.04 LTS usage life of 1.5 years, you've never pinged the Kubuntu repositories because you thought Canonical and Canonical Partners included them.

And I only found out when I saw the process "kio_file" take up massive CPU time when my Dolphin had preview on. So I googled it, and sure enough, it's in the KDE bugtracker, and they say the issue is resolved - after 4.9.3.
I check and I've got KDE 4.8.x. So I finally add ppa:kubuntu-backports and update, dist-upgrade, and bam, 4.11.

Well not really, because when KDM was configuring, I had to go through this wizard. I accidentally checked 'shutdown kdm' then clicked next, and sure enough, my X session died. After a reboot, I needed to
sudo apt-get -f install or sudo apt-get -f dist-upgrade
and dpkg -i --force-overwrite
and sudo dpkg --force-depends -r kde-workspace-data
giving me:
    dpkg: kde-workspace-data: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requested:
At least now everything is over thanks to APT, apt-get and dpkg. That said, I should be releasing something from one of my projects relating to APT soon. But don't anticipate a tech project, haha.

Interestingly enough I tried out i3 while fixing my KDE desktop environment and it was pretty nice to use.
Also, I'm still getting that error sometimes when my KDE session starts, and then restarts after like 10-30 seconds after splash image and you can see the actual desktop. It might have to do with Akondi crashing. [Edit: It was actually Skype using XFS.]
I've also lost the window decoration I normally use in 4.8, I forgot its name but it was a nice blue bar at the top with white text and minimal/compact buttons. I can't find it in the default window decorations where it was. At least the 4.11 oxygen looks pretty nice and is compact =)

No comments:

Post a Comment